TRANSMISSION TROUBLES

2001 Volkswagen Beetle

axlejake28

May, 25, 2009 AT 11:41 PM

2001 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I'm not sure what speed the auto transmission is, but my girlfriends Beetle will not shift itself properly. When I put it into drive and go, it acts like it is running just one gear lower than it should be. When I take off while it's in the drive position it runs like I have the shifter in the '2" position. Once I get the car to about 45mph's it will shift gears, but only like it is in the '3' position. It just will not shift itself into the normal drive and it runs about 2,000 RPM's over what it should.

Any ideas what could cause this? Of course my first thought was it may be low on fluid, but I couldn't even find anywhere to check the fluid level. I've never known an auto tranny not to have a dipstick to check the fluid, but then again, it is a Volkswagen.

Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Chris

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

jejene08

June, 3, 2009 AT 10:57 AM

Take your car to a diagnostic shop and ask if they can get the trouble codes for the transmission and the transmission oil temp. Make sure they connect to your car just as it shows the problem. If the oil is running to hot take the car to a Transmission shop and ask them to do a transimission oil change and to clean the oil cooling system (small colloer on top of transmission). Make sure the recomended oil is used.
Good luck

Jessy

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars