1961 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE CYLINDER TO HEAD SEAL

• Tim Tesluck
  • 1961 Volkswagen Beetle

Engine problem
1961 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual N/A miles

I'm rebuilding a 1961 vw engine 1200 cc. Is there any type of a head gasket for these air cooled engines? How are they sealed? I have purchase an engine gasket kit and I don't see anything in the kit or the manual I purchased to seal the head to the cylinders. The manual I purchased is a Haynes repair manual not a original shop manual. Hope you can help me. Thank you.

Sunday, January 20th, 2008 AT 7:57 PM

• mikeyDep

The only seals i've ever seen for the heads is sometimes either a round red paper gasket, or a round copper one, which I suppose was for spacing.
But to my knowledge there usually isn't a gasket there.
Check john muir's book

Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 8:41 PM
  • cognito

Early VW's all used copper head gaskets. Check your engine block serial #, if it starts with a number then its early, if it starts with a letter[late 1200 is D]If you look at the cyl head you can see a groove that the gasket sits on. The groove on the cylinder is aprox 1' from the top of the cylinder. All later 1200,1500,1600 engines had no gaskets at all !The paper gaskets are for barrel to case

Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 AT 11:50 PM