1982 VAUXHALL MY VALVES HAVE SIEZED :-(

• the repair lady
  • 1982 Vauxhall

1982 Other Vauxhall Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 48000 miles

I have a Bedford Rascal Motorhome which we have driven all over Europe many times, 3 years ago I took the engine out to recondition it with new pistons etc. But I have only just now got round to looking at it and I've found that two of the valves are completely rusted shut. Do you have any advise on how I may be able to free them?
Thank you wendy -the-repair-lady

Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 11:04 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there, the only way to fix this correctly is to remove the head and ream out the vale guides, other wise they will bind up again even if the engine is running,

Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 11:07 PM
  • the repair lady

Wow that was a real fast reply Thank you. I have already removed the head I'm not too sure on how to ream out the valve guides, I have taken some pictures of the state of my engine but, I'll have to get my husband to upload them for me in the morning.

Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 11:28 PM
  • mhpautos

You will need to give the head to a automotive machinist, they will have the specialist equipment to do this for you.

Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 11:48 PM