Transmission leak

POPPLEWELLJS
  • 1989 CHEVROLET 1500
My transmission has a leak right where the motor and transmission meet. What would be leaking and what can I do to fix it?
Monday, April 15th, 2019 AT 9:16 AM

KASEKENNY1
Hi,

If this is truly coming out from the bell housing most likely it is the seals that seal the torque converter to the front pump. This is assuming it is transmission fluid which is why you are saying it is a transmission leak. However, if it is engine oil, then it is most likely the rear main seal for where the torque converter and the crankshaft meet.

Here is a picture of the pump with the torque converter removed to try and illustrate this for you.

The repair for this is to remove the transmission, remove the torque converter and replace the seals. Then reinstall the transmission. If it is the rear main seal, it is the same procedure but instead of removing the torque converter you just leave it as is and replace the rear main seal on the engine. However, both require you to remove the transmission.

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks
Monday, April 15th, 2019 AT 3:17 PM
POPPLEWELLJS
Okay, thanks for the information. How much does a new rear main seal usual cost for just the part, I'll do the labor myself?
Tuesday, April 16th, 2019 AT 11:15 AM
KASEKENNY1
There are a ton of options for this engine. They range from $5.00 to $20.00 and up.

It is just a seal that looks like an axle seal.

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks
Tuesday, April 16th, 2019 AT 5:43 PM