Transmission issue, when it is in park it shows it is in reverse?

BHAMDOC1973
  • 2009 BMW 550I
Transmission acting up. When I hook up my scanner it seems that when it's in park it shows it's in reverse, when in neutral shows drive and so forth. But when I out it in reverse it goes back and when in d it drives, its erratic shifting but I also have no transmission codes only intelligent sensor and alternator codes. I hooked up my ohmmeter and it's fine 14.3 or so. The information display flashes and sometimes does not come on, so I think the charging is not stable but the battery tested good with load. I looked at the bsd and it looks fine. I deleted the codes, and it keeps coming back. There is a mismatch when I look at gear positions. Sometimes it's the alternator code other times it says it's not seeing or getting message from the intelligent sensor.
Monday, January 23rd, 2023 AT 8:48 AM

KEN L
Yep, this means the gear selector switch has gone out. Here is how to replace it in the images below. The alternator is a separate problem so please start a new question for that. Check out the images (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Monday, January 23rd, 2023 AT 12:11 PM
BHAMDOC1973
Even though the gear reflects correctly when I shift it. If I choose drive it lights up drive and drives forward, same for neutral and reverse but not while using the scanner.
Monday, January 23rd, 2023 AT 12:15 PM
KEN L
Okay that might be a scanner compatibility issue.
Tuesday, January 24th, 2023 AT 9:56 AM

Sponsored links