NO REVERSE

1989 Toyota Supra

bjewel77

1989 Toyota Supra 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I have 1989 Toyota Supra with A340e automatic transmission. First problem started with transmission not downshifting on its own. Would upshift, but not downshift, no kickdown or passing gear. After almost getting stuck on muddy road, transmission will not go in reverse, and acts like it wants to go forward if revved up in park. Still drives in forward gears and shifts up fine. Time for new transmission or some other cheaper fix? Thanks for your help!

January, 2, 2009 AT 12:10 AM

Get the throttle position sensor and vehicle speed sensor checked out-this sensors gives the computer input signals indicating throttle and governor pressures than commands shifting solenoids to provide upshifts/downshifts/overdrive/lock-up-No luck its time for a new/rebuilt one.

bjewel77

January, 2, 2009 AT 12:25 AM

Are you saying the TPS or vehicle speed sensor is possibly causing the problem with no downshifting, but not with the lack of reverse? Or could a sensor cause both problems? Sorry, I didn't know what you meant when you said no luck. Thanks for the quick reply!

January, 2, 2009 AT 2:10 AM

When was the last time you had the transmission service-How's the level and condition of fluid?

Shifting problems could come from the TPS/VSS-the lacking of reverse gear could mean a problem with the valve body which is the heart of the tranny/clutches/bands etc-

You need to get it pressure tested to find out what's really going on with it-

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement