WON'T TURN OVER

1983 Toyota Pickup

83ToyotaPickup

July, 2, 2010 AT 5:40 PM

1983 Toyota Pickup Front Wheel Drive Manual

My truck started up fine but it would not catch and actually turn over. I tried and tried (gas in, gas out, clutch in, clutch out, pumping the gas, in neutral), but it just wouldn't turn over. I did this for a good half hour today, giving it time to un-flood after the first effort.

Background: It has an old exhaust system and muffler that needs replacing, and it was sitting unstarted for a week, but the weather is warm, and it wasn't parked uphill, which sometimes affects whether it starts up right away.

HELP? THANKS!

July, 3, 2010 AT 11:04 AM

Do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem.

Cranks but no start condition: Fuel and Spark: Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

Compression: If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.

83ToyotaPickup

July, 3, 2010 AT 3:46 PM

Thanks for all the great advice -- it gives me a place to start.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm grateful for this forum -- you guys do good stuff!

Cheers!

Toyota83Pickup

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang