96 LAND CRUISER, 4.5L, EGR FLOW INSUFFICIENT

1996 Toyota Landcruiser

Tjokkie

July, 23, 2007 AT 1:25 AM

My Cruiser has done 163k miles.
After replacing EGR Modulator, the EGR Valve, the EGR Gas Temp. Sensor and securing all tubing I still get an error code after driving approx. 200 miles. What next shall I clean and or replace?

Egr Valve

July, 23, 2007 AT 1:53 AM

Did you check the vacuum switching valve whether its actually switching vacuum to EGR. Did you attempt to clear code by code reader/scantool.

Did you clean the manifold if not how do you expect for it to flow.

TonyWilliams

July, 24, 2007 AT 9:54 AM

Be aware, the Toyota Service Manual for how to check this part is wrong. It shows reversed polarity for checking the valve. The valve is normall supplied with +12V to one end and the ECU sinks to 0V to energize the coil. The diagram shows one end of the coil grounded and the ECU as driving +12V to energize it (this is wrong). So, connect the battery to the opposite pins from the diagram on page EC-14.

Tjokkie

July, 24, 2007 AT 7:27 PM

Did you clean the manifold if not how do you expect for it to flow.[/Quote: 25e0e53344]

Cleaned the manifold, also checked and tested VSV, after 60 miles the same code came up.

July, 25, 2007 AT 1:04 AM

Okay its time to get technical-disconnect the EGR temp. Sensor get a voltmeter look for a 5vref. On the connector THG circuit-the other is ground-do you have power? The EGR temp. Sensor tells the Computer to open the EGR valve thru the VSV.

No 5vref we're looking for either a short or an open circuit all the way to the ECM> wire checks out for open or short-Think! ECM

Did you route the vac hose accordingly at the modulator?

Lets go back to the wiring circuitry: according to my references you have 2 (two) EGR temp. Sensors

1 @ left rear of side of engine with Green/Yellow wire for the THG circuit and Brown and Black for ground E2 circuit. Note: THG should have the 5volts.

ALSO

2 @ left side of engine with Red and White wire for the THG and Brn and Blk for gnd.

Am I correct with 2-EGR temp. Sensor. For 96 Toy LC 4.5L 6cyl

Hope this helps/Good Luck