ENGINE

Toyota Corolla

sunshineoverwv

September, 5, 2006 AT 9:15 AM

I have a 1987 Toy Corolla that I had a perfectly good rebuilt engine taken out of and would like to know if anyone could tell me if I am only able to use this engine in another 1987 model or can I possibly use it in another newer model. I have been told that engines sometimes are universal within 3 or 4 different year models? PLEASE HELP
thankyou : cry:

glenerik

September, 6, 2006 AT 8:19 PM

It depends on where the motor mounts are located in the car you want to install the engine in. You probably want a similar sized car because a small engine wont be powerful enough for a big car. If the motor mounts do not coincide exactly, you can install new ones if you have access to soldering tools. If you get another corolla " shell" for it, within a few years range, the motor mounts should fit (depending on when they changed the corolla engine design). I took a tercel engine out of a 1990 tercel and installed it in a 91, the engines looked the same, although the 90' (3e) I installed was carbureted and the 91 (3e-e) was fuel injected. However, I was even able to hook up the fuel injection components to the 3e engine. Good luck!

cartech_savvy

September, 21, 2006 AT 12:10 AM

Engines of the same family should fit interchangeably. For instance, depending on what engine your 87 has, either a 2E (1.3) or a 4A(1.6), you could fit a bigger engine like the 3E (1.5) for the 2E, or 4AGE (1.6 with a wide angle valve arrangement) or a bigger 7AFE (1.8) for the 4A.

cartech_savvy

September, 21, 2006 AT 12:11 AM

Engines of the same family should fit interchangeably. For instance, depending on what engine your 87 has, either a 2E (1.3) or a 4A(1.6), you could fit a bigger engine like the 3E (1.5) for the 2E, or 4AGE (1.6 with a wide angle valve arrangement) or a bigger 7AFE (1.8 ) for the 4A.

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue
Honda Element air filter replacement