LOSE OF OIL PESSURE

2001 Toyota Corolla

chevyfever

November, 25, 2009 AT 3:29 PM

2001 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

In another shop they cleaned the oil pump strainer cause the oil light started to turn one while driving so they cleaned the oil pump strainer and told him the it would be good to change the bearings of the crankshaft and piston rods. So I pulled the engine out and change the bearing plus the oil pump. To be on the safe side I put a gauge to see the pressure. It was about 40psi at idle and 60psi at 1500rpm and then it started going down and down until it got to 0 and the oil light turned on. I shut it off and after a while turned it back on and pressure ok and after about 5 to 8 minutes it went down to 0. The pressure went down slowly.I was thinking of taking the head off a taking it to a machine shop so they can check the head and camshafts. Can the Camshaft Oil Control Valve have to do something with the lost of pressure? Need help Thanks

mmprince4000

November, 26, 2009 AT 8:47 AM

It sounds more like the main bearings. Are you getting a knock noise?

chevyfever

November, 26, 2009 AT 11:41 AM

I changed the main bearings and the rod bearings and installed a new oil pump, and there is no knock noise.

mmprince4000

November, 27, 2009 AT 5:57 AM

Are you measuring oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?

The camshaft control valve is part of the VVTi system.

If indeed (with mechanical gauge) your OP is going to zero, it is a bearing clearence, clogged galley problem.

chevyfever

November, 27, 2009 AT 10:05 AM

Bearing clearence is in specs. The gauge is mechanical.I am thinking it can be a clog in the system and the oill does not return to the oil pan as fast as it should be and the pump starves. Am I in the right track?

mmprince4000

November, 28, 2009 AT 8:07 AM

Sludge build up could be the problem, does engine have a lot of sludge?

Could also be an oil galley is blocked, in any case, you will have to get good oil pressure or you will be back in the same boat in a short time.

chevyfever

November, 28, 2009 AT 1:55 PM

What I'm giong to do is take the engine out again and lift the cylinder head and check all the drains and oil galleys.

mmprince4000

November, 29, 2009 AT 9:42 AM

I would first take the oil pan off and check the pickup.

chevyfever

November, 29, 2009 AT 3:37 PM

As I said at the top the pickup was cleaned, bearings changed and a new oil pump.

mmprince4000

November, 30, 2009 AT 6:47 AM

Yes I know, I was just wondering if it hase come loose or may have a leak in it, clogged screen?

chevyfever

November, 30, 2009 AT 7:16 AM

I'll check and see.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
 Oil Change and Filter Replacement Subaru
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element