2000 Toyota Corolla Engine Seized

SONI25
  • 2000 TOYOTA COROLLA
2000 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 107K miles

Hi ,

I bought my car for 4700$. My car engine seized because of lack of engine oil a month after i bought my car. I do not understand how my engine could run out of oil in a month, when i got my car checked before i bought it. Can you please tell me, if it is worht repairing my car now, The cheapest estimate i got so far is 2400$ for replacing my engine. your advice will be helpful. My car body is good.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/257512_IMG_1245_2.jpg

Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 3:17 PM

MMPRINCE4000
You can also check with a junkyard to get a good used engine. Most will check compression and check for leaks and indicate it was from a running car (just wrecked like in the rear).

The problem with a junkyard engine is that the warranty does not include installation, so if you were to get a bad one, they would replace the engine only, the install labor is not included.

Wheather you replace with a reman. Or get a junkyard engine is up to you, bottom line is cost.
Saturday, October 18th, 2008 AT 6:13 AM
SONI25
Hello thankyou for your reply, I checked for engines in junkyards and like you said they give warranty for the part and not the labor of installation. And they are not priced any lower than what my mechaniic suggested me.

I guess what I was asking was is it worth repairing my engine? And I guess what I got from your answer is you are sugessting I replace my engine. If thats what you are suggesting me, please let me know.

Thankyou

sonia
Saturday, October 18th, 2008 AT 8:15 AM
MMPRINCE4000
If the engine has indeed siezed, you will probably have to bore the cylinders, install new pistons, check crankshaft, main bearings, cam bearings.
The block would have to be checked for cracks.

Point is that unless you have the knowledge and shills to do it yourself, it would be more cost effective to replace it.
Sunday, October 19th, 2008 AT 6:12 AM