1993 TOYOTA COROLLA 93 COROLLA TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

• Amanda655
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA

1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 206000 miles

i have a 93 corolla, all I can afford at the time. I have basically put all new parts in it including engine and transmission in june 09. My drivers side caliper was sticking this weekend and my dad put a new one on. The next day I was driving it and it was making a whining noise and some clunking. I was about to drive it home and put it in reverse when it clunked hard, the shifting lever was real stiff, I then put it in drive and it wouldnt move. We had to put it in reverse and push it back in the driveway. The fluids were checked the other day and it was fine, then we checked them after this and it was low. Then this morning, the next day after this happened, the car would move again but I was tooafraid to drive it. It is doing some of the things the last transmission did when it went, the whistling and tight shifter. But last time it would clunk so hard when moving at all this time its not.

Does this sound like the transmission is shot, or able to be saved. I just dont understand it since I only put it in 4 months ago and drove about 5000 miles on it.
I always thought that japanese cars were good cars but all I have had are problems.

Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 10:06 PM

• KHLow2008

Hi amanda655,

Thank you for the donation.

Trans for the year model is very reliable and seldom gives any problem and you mentioned both trans having the same symptoms which is rather surprising.

I suspect it could be something else.

When vehicle could not move, was there any grinding noise? You mentioned whining noise, does it sound like something is not catching and grinding?

Were the CV shafts replaced when trans and engine were replaced?

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 8:56 AM
  • Mmprince4000

The 3 speed Asian 131L trans uses a seperate fluid supply for the trans and differential, if differential fluid is low or out, it will sieze.

Look under car, if you see a drain plug for trans, and one directly behind it, that is differential. Fill plug is on firewall side and can be hard to see.

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 8:57 AM
  • Amanda655

Yes both cv joints, actually the whole front end is not even 6 months old yet. And yes it was grinding too

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 10:44 AM
  • KHLow2008

Is this a 3 or 4 speed trans?

4 speed would have an OD switch and indicator in meter assy.

Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 AT 6:22 AM
  • Amanda655

It is a 3 speed I assume, it has L, 2, and D.

Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 AT 3:13 PM
  • KHLow2008

That is not a confirmation of a 3 or 4 speed trans.

Do you have the OD OFF indicator light in the meter cluster and can be operated by a small switch at side of gear shift?

If yes, that would be a 4 speed, otherwise it is a 3 speed.

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 7:05 AM
  • Amanda655

No it doesnt have the od switch or indicator light. So it is a 3 speed

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 11:17 AM
  • KHLow2008

As mmprince4000 mentioned, check the differential oil level. It is different and separate from the trans.

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 1:00 PM
  • Amanda655

If the differential fluid is low or out will that damage the trans or cause the symptoms Im having or will I just have to replace the differential

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 3:28 PM
  • KHLow2008

The differential is joined to the trans and if it is bad, repair can be done separately but the rans would have to be removed from vehicle.

If fluid level is low, it can cause the symptoms described and prolonged use can damage the bearings and gears.

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 3:43 PM