TEST FOR IGNITER

Toyota Camry

cayanksfan

September, 27, 2007 AT 1:54 PM

1987 Camry (4 cylinder, with 3SFE engine) 225,000 miles

I have the above car I am trying to get running so I can give it to a needy person. Here is what is happened so far. No spark. Tested wires, resistance across coil, tested ECU and all seem OK. The repair manual's last step is to replace the igniter. Is there a way to check the igniter before replacing it? I was told to connect a test light to the negative side of the coil and crank the car. The test light should light intermittently. This would indicate the igniter and coil are both OK?

Thanks in advance for any help. I just want to get the car started and give it to somebody who would benefit from having it.

Repair

September, 27, 2007 AT 3:09 PM

Check the resistances of the pick-up coil in the distributor should be 140-180 ohms-if not replace distributor.

Buzzsaw

October, 1, 2007 AT 4:54 AM

Ck the coil for burn marks.

October, 1, 2007 AT 5:12 AM

I was told to connect a test light to the negative side of the coil and crank the car. The test light should light intermittently. This would indicate the igniter and coil are both OK?

Did you check the primary/secondary resistances of the coil?

Make sure the ignitor is grounded properly and has input power to both ignitor/coil.

If the primary is switching-pull the coil wire from the distributor and ground it while cranking-No surge inspect the rotor and cap it has to make it out of there to get to plugs.

Ignition System Test Guide
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition Coil Replacement Ford Taurus