AUTO REPAIR QUOTE

Toyota Camry

Barry Spring

December, 28, 2006 AT 12:24 AM

Hi Guys,
I've got a '98 Toyota Camry with 128,000 miles on it and it needs a tune up. The check engine light came on and had it diagnosed at AutoZone. It needs spark plugs, wires and a new coil pack. Can you give me a ballpark figure on how much this should be to repair, parts and labor? Thanks!

garfield

December, 30, 2006 AT 7:11 AM

You can change the plug wires and plugs yourself. Just remember the cardinal rule about tune ups. Take one wire off, remove the plug for that wire. Put a light coat of anti seize on the threads on the new plug and install it where the old one was. Next take the old wire over and match it's length up with one from the new set and put the new wire on the new plug and attach it to the coil pack. Keep doing the same until all of you plug wires have been changed out. If you follow the rule of doing one wire and plug at a time you can't go wrong. After you complete the tune up, go to advance auto parts or auto zone and have them erase the stored codes and drive the car and see if the code comes back. Most likely the check engine light will not come back on, but if it does then have the code read and if it is showing misfires then change the coil pack then. Hope this helps. As for cost for someone to do the tune up for you will probably cost you around 300 dollars. Good luck.

Gary