98 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. CE

• 1 POST

My vehicle has approx 147k miles and started to overheat, especially when stopping. A friend advised it was probably the thermostat. How do you replace the thermostat?

Wednesday, November 14th, 2007 AT 3:57 PM

Hi there,

The first thing I would be checking is that the thermo fan is turning on. Go for a short drive untill the temp comes up to normal, let the car idle and as the temp starts to increase the thermo fan should cut in. If you have A/C only one fan should come on the second will activate when the A/C is turned on. If the temp get to high and the fan is not on, I would be checking the thermo switch for the fan. If the fan is turning on, then replace the thermostat. To do this leave the engine untill it is cool, remove the top radiator hose and the thermostat housing (the housing is where the hose attaches to the engine) the thermostat will have a rubber seal around the out side, this should also be replaced. If the new thermostat has a bleed hole, that is a small hole with a brass toggle this should face upper most as it will help bleed air from the system. Re fit thermostat make sure that it sits in the grove evenly, a little petroleum jelly will hold it there while you re fit the housing. Replace hose, add coolant and run up with heater tap open check coolant level when thermostat opens. Drive and check for leaks.

Good luck.

Wednesday, November 14th, 2007 AT 4:40 PM