2000 Toyota Camry slips out of gear

STORMNNORMN
  • 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY
Here's a description of my problem. After the car is warmed up, I shift it into reverse and it doesn't go into gear right away, it does go into reverse after a few seconds. But not immediately like before. The same with forward, it takes up to 10seconds for the gears to engage, then it will stop engaging, and i'll just sit there. It will go back into gear, and once it's in gear, there's no grinding that I hear. This really does concern me, transmissions are spendy, and im disabled and have to plan ahead for the repair. Well anyway, any advice or help is appreciated, the car has about 120k miles on it. And it has always been cared for. Thanks for any help you can give.
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 12:13 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Check fluid level in trans and make sure it is full. Fluid level in trans. Should be checked with engine running and car in park.

If OK, I would change trans filter, and add fluid to proper level.

Also check shift cable, make sure it is not loose or missing any retaining clips.

If condition persists, you will have to have a trans. Shop check it out.
Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 7:27 AM