1997 TOYOTA CAMRY LOW IDLE ON STARTUP

• 2005tonyg
  • 1997 Toyota Camry

1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150k miles

Just recently on cold startup and now sometimes warm, my Camry idles at under 1k rpm with some rumbling and stalling out (at a stand still). I turned the A/C off and that seems to help a bit. When testing with the hood up, I heard a click after a minute or so and then the car went to it's normal idle. Did some reading and it sounded like the IAC valve may be the problem. I've replaced the spark plugs and that didn't help. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

Friday, May 22nd, 2009 AT 1:14 PM

• legitimate007

Well I think that you are on the right track, the Idle air control valve controls engine rpm or idle upon startup or when you are sitting still or coming to a stop. This keeps the car running or getting the proper amount of air when your foot is not on the throttle.

Friday, May 22nd, 2009 AT 1:20 PM
  • 2005tonyg

Thank you for the reply. It's good to know that I'm on the right track - I definitely don't want to be putting money into parts that I don't need.

Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 AT 10:16 AM
  • legitimate007

Well, you are quite welcome, keep me posted
joe

Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 AT 3:45 PM