LOW IDLE ON STARTUP

1997 Toyota Camry

2005tonyg

May, 22, 2009 AT 1:14 PM

1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150k miles

Just recently on cold startup and now sometimes warm, my Camry idles at under 1k rpm with some rumbling and stalling out (at a stand still). I turned the A/C off and that seems to help a bit. When testing with the hood up, I heard a click after a minute or so and then the car went to it's normal idle. Did some reading and it sounded like the IAC valve may be the problem. I've replaced the spark plugs and that didn't help. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

legitimate007

May, 22, 2009 AT 1:20 PM

Well I think that you are on the right track, the Idle air control valve controls engine rpm or idle upon startup or when you are sitting still or coming to a stop. This keeps the car running or getting the proper amount of air when your foot is not on the throttle.

2005tonyg

May, 23, 2009 AT 10:16 AM

Thank you for the reply. It's good to know that I'm on the right track - I definitely don't want to be putting money into parts that I don't need.

legitimate007

May, 23, 2009 AT 3:45 PM

Well, you are quite welcome, keep me posted
joe

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars