1995 Toyota Camry Strange Electrical Problems

CALITTLE
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
Problem begin when car would not start. Checked the battery, it's 6 months old and has a full charge. Some buzzing noises from under the hood. Tried to start several times -- but no crank happens.

On the following day, put the key in the ignition, the chime comes on (door is open). Turn key to accessory position, and the dash lights turn on, as expected, but they are pretty dim. Turn to run position, all dash lights turn off. Turn to start position, nothing happens. Turn on headlights, get a clicking around the relay box -- lights don't come on. Press the brake pedal, any dash/interior lights immediately turn off.

Checked the voltage at the battery, sits around 11v when nothing's going on. Try to turn on headlights, drops to 2-3v. Ideas?
Thursday, February 11th, 2010 AT 5:52 PM

MATHIASO
Battery Voltage and State of Charge:

Hello calittle

it seem like the battery is dead.
You have 11 V, that is less than 0%.
A good starter will normally draw 60 to 150 amps with no load on it, and up to 250 amps under load (while cranking the engine)

change your battery.

12.68v.......... 100%
12.45v.......... 75%
12.24v.......... 50%
12.06v.......... 25%
11.89v.......... 0%
Thursday, February 11th, 2010 AT 10:55 PM
CALITTLE
Would it make a difference if I tried to jumpstart the car from a working vehicle?
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 7:30 AM
MATHIASO
Hello calittle

Yes you can jumpstart; but the battery should be tested to see if it is capable of holding a charge.
Or you will jumpstart anytime you shut off your vehicle.

Average battery life is only about four to five years, and can be as little as three years in really hot climates (like Arizona and Florida). So if your battery is more than four or five years old, chances are it has reached the end of its useful service life and needs to be replaced, if it is not holding a charge and the charging system is working normally
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 9:50 AM
CALITTLE
I'll try to jumpstart it first. The battery is only a year old so I wouldn't expect it to be faulty (yet). If I cannot jumpstart, then I can assume the battery is probably ok, and there is something else. I just thought it was pretty odd that if I sat in the car with nothing on and pressed the brake pedal all the interior lights and dash went off.

Thanks for your assistance!
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 10:29 AM
CALITTLE
I was able to jump start the camry. This lead me to suspect the battery, so I hooked it up to a charger. Made sure the terminals were spotless. The charger report the battery full after about 5 minutes. Tried starting again, no luck. Some noise from under the hood and dash (relays I'm guessing). Headlights work now. I suspect I drained the battery in previous testing. Took the battery to a local shop and they reportedit was good, and they tested under load and all was ok. What next?
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 2:31 PM
MATHIASO
Hello calittle

A three-minute battery charge test checks for a sulfated battery. This battery test requires slow charging the battery at 40 amps for three minutes, then checking the voltage across the terminals with the charger on. If the voltage is above 15.5 volts, the battery is not accepting a charge. Slow charging for 20 hours can sometimes reverse the sulfate condition and save the battery, but if it cannot, the battery will have to be replaced.
The alternator is designed to maintain a battery charge, not to recharge a dead battery. Overloading the charging system with a dead battery can tax it to the point of where it may damage the alternator.
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 11:53 PM
CALITTLE
Ok -- did a slow charge on the battery, went for about 30 minutes until the charger indicated full. No dice on starting. Bought and installed a new battery, but the car doesn't start. Strange that I can jumpstart. Ideas?
Saturday, February 13th, 2010 AT 3:55 PM
CALITTLE
I think my jumpstart just got lucky. I gave the starter a couple of knocks with a hammer and it started, so I'm guessing the starter contacts need replacing.
Saturday, February 13th, 2010 AT 4:11 PM
MATHIASO
Hello calittle

If the starter contact is the problem, then we have been misled by the battery voltage that was 11 voltage.
You can bypass the solenoid to connect bat + to the starter directly, if it does not crank, replace the starter, if it does, check connection between solenoid and starter.
Saturday, February 13th, 2010 AT 9:53 PM