1989 Toyota Camry Distributor/Timing?

GRIFFO
  • 1989 TOYOTA CAMRY
The Camry had been running fine. I had just been for a short drive. Got home and wad idleing roughly out of the blue. I heard a loud banging noise. I pulled out the distributor and it was cracked at the shaft. Replaced the distributor and the car will not start. The engine turns over but no fire. I have checked and there is spark. Gas (LPG) tank is full. A mechanic friend (without seeing it) said that it may have slipped a timing tooth. Do you think the car is repairable, and if so, at what price? Do you have any suggestions?
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 2:42 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Remove all spark plugs and rotate engine by hand with a ratchet and socket on the balancer pulley until you feel air coming out #1 cylinder, rotate slightly until crankshaft timing mark is aligned with mark on engine (TDC#1).

Remove dist. Cap, dist. Rotor should be pointing directly at #1 cylinder on cap, if not, remove dist. And rotate and install so it does point to #1.
+1
Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 5:07 AM

Sponsored links