1. Remove hub cap, cotter pin and lock nut. Loosen and remove lock nut from wheel bearing. Remove engine undercover. Remove front fender apron seal.
2. Use paint to apply mating marks to axle shaft flange and side gear shaft flange; DO NOT use punch marks. Apply brakes and remove 6 retaining nuts on each inboard axle shaft flange.
3. Disconnect steering knuckle from lower ball joints. Drain transaxle fluid. Remove axle shafts from transaxle. On All-Trac and V6 models, DO NOT compress inboard CV joint boot or CV joint will become disassembled. The drive shaft retaining bolts and washers may be used to keep CV joint together.
4. On all models, use plastic hammer to drive axle shaft out of bearing hub. Loosen intermediate axle shaft lock bolt. Remove snap ring from differential bearing bracket and pull out intermediate axle shaft.
Use NEW intermediate axle shaft bearing lock bolt during installation.
5. If it is necessary to remove side gear shaft, push side gear shaft into differential. See Fig. 1 . Measure and note distance between transaxle case and side gear shaft.
6. Using a slide hammer, pull intermediate axle shaft out of transaxle. Inspect side gear and side gear shaft seal for damage, replace if necessary.
Friday, September 17th, 2010 AT 9:39 AM