RANDOM CYLINDER MISFIRE

1998 Toyota Avalon

natalianeal84

October, 23, 2009 AT 6:42 PM

1998 Toyota Avalon 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 230000 miles

I am getting codes for cylinder 2, 5 and random cylinder misfires. I changed all spark plugs, replaced the PCV valve just for good measure, and changed the wire set. First, I want to make sure that I replaced the wires in the correct order. It is my understanding that the back cylinders are 1, 3, 5 from left to right if viewed from the front of the vehicle and the front cylinders are 2, 4, 6 again, from left to right. I saw an old posting for a 96 that said the wire pairing should be 1& 4, 2& 5, and 3& 6. If this pairing is correct for the 98 as well? Also, if the problem is unchanged, would the next logical step be to change the ignition coil for those cylinders?

mathiaso

October, 24, 2009 AT 3:56 PM

You right for the firing order .
1-2-3-4-5-6-Distributorless 1MZ-FE engines

I'm sending the firing order in your email, so you can see it bigger than this.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_firing_order_1.jpg

if the wire have been replaced in the correct order and it is the random misfire you got before you changed the spark plugs and wires the the ignition coil could be suspected.