Temperature gauge is stuck below resting pin.

FAITHNOTFEAR3
  • 2002 BUICK PARK AVENUE
  • TURBO
I purchased a 2002 Buick Park Avenue and during shipping somehow the engine temperature gauge needle got caught below the plastic pin it is supposed to rest on what can I do to fix this problem without having to go to the dealership to get it fixed? I was thinking of using a very small bit to gently drill a hole near the pin in order to gently ease up the needle up over the pin (the needle is very close to the top of the plastic resting pin. What do you think?
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 5:58 PM

I have to be honest, I can't imagine how that would have happened during shipping. Are you sure there isn't an issue with the gauge or sending unit?
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 7:35 PM
FAITHNOTFEAR3
No, I am not sure if there is an issue with the gauge or the sending unit; however, I the dealership stated that everything was in good working order. I know that you can not always trust those kinds of statements, but I don't have a budget to have a dealership fix this. I was hoping that the needle just got jarred and needed to be gently moved above the pin.
Wednesday, June 25th, 2014 AT 8:13 AM
I hate to say it, but nothing that I can think of during shipping would have caused this. There has to be another issue. If you purchased it from a dealer and they said everything is in working order, I would contact that dealer and tell them about the issue. Perhaps, they would consider paying for the repair.
Wednesday, June 25th, 2014 AT 1:26 PM
FAITHNOTFEAR3
They said it was an "as is" deal and that there is nothing they can do. If I do take it to get repaired do you know how much it might cost? Are there qualified mechanics who can fix this without going to the dealerships? What else can I do?
Wednesday, June 25th, 2014 AT 1:37 PM
I'm sure there are people other than dealership mechanics that can fix it. However, I have no idea what to tell you for a price. There could be several things causing it. A bad sensor, body control module, the cluster itself.

If you want, have it checked and let me know what they tell you needs done. At least I can let you know if what they say sounds correct.
Wednesday, June 25th, 2014 AT 7:36 PM