ENGINE HESITATES

Subaru

ynotcarrie

1992 subaru loyale with 134232 miles. I have recently inherited this car. The old owner recently had timing belt and water pump replaced, in addition to replacing the plugs, wires, air filter, rotor, distributor, and he told me that the injecters have just been cleaned. Nothing done to fuel filter or fuel pump. Car appearred to be running fine until the recent cold weather, I have had the car for about 4 days. When starting the car, the car will quickly stall and then after two or three tries it will keep running. The car hesitates and back fires before stalling out if I press on gas pedal sharply. If I ease on the gas pedal it will slightly hesitate but stay running. This problem seems to stop once car is fully warmed up or if I am driving at a steady speed. Do you have any suggestions

Jack42

January, 10, 2007 AT 7:16 AM

Definitly have the fuel pump checked for pressure. Its the check engine light on? Have the PCM scanned, could be the coolant temp sensor or the Mass Airflow Meter if so equipped

mathiaso

January, 10, 2007 AT 10:24 AM

And always seeck to determine the root cause of faillure to prevent repeated problems. An example is a fuel pump that fails due to debris in the fuel tank. Replacing the pump may correct the driveability problem, but the root cause of the pump failure was the dirt in the fuel tank.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995