OUTBACK BAD BATTERY OR SOMETHING ELSE?

2001 Subaru

outlander92

September, 14, 2007 AT 5:41 PM

2001 subaru legacy outback, 180,000, AT - I had work done on my brakes, exhaust, and catalytic converter back in July, and ever since then my car has been turning over slowly, like the battery is getting weak, but it always starts. Granted, it's old, but it hadn't done this before the work. Today I was stopped behind traffic on a hill, and went to accelerate fast as the traffic moved, and the car totally stalled. I turned everything off, then on again, and it started as it usually does - slow but sure. I noticed that the trip meter and clock had reset as well, suggesting the battery had cut out, but it did start, and it started like usual 9 hours later when I left work. So, is this a weak battery issue or something else? Thanks!

Battery Will Not Charge

Battery Size

1 IMAGE

mhpautos

September, 15, 2007 AT 7:21 AM

Hi there,

I would have the battery load tested, this will give you a fair indication as to the condition of the battery, next get the charge rate tested, both these tests will take all of 2-3 min to do. I would also have the battey earths checked, you may have a poor earth return causing the slow cranking and other electrical faults.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011