LEGACY/OUTBACK WAGON AT

1999 Subaru

Tiny

peter parker

June, 26, 2006 AT 8:18 PM

Hello I just recently bought a 1999 Subaru Legacy/Outback wagon the chassis has only 119,000 miles on it with a completely rebuilt 2.5ltr DOHC engine which only has approximate 3200miles on it; and my question today is about 1300miles ago my speedometer just shut down going down the highway, but not for good it shuts off about 30% of the time and the other 70% percent it works just fine. I know and have been informed that this is a speed sensor issue. But can it be an easy and inexpensive fix? Can I unplug the plug on the passenger side of the tranny to clear up this problem or is it just going to get worse over time? : Roll: : I called up the local Subaru dealer and their parts counter said that the speed sensor was tied into the main wiring harness : ( and the cost for it was approx $286.00 : shock: way more than I can or even want to pay @ this time. Isn't it too soon meaning before 150k miles for this kind of problem to be happening? Is there an easier less expensive solution to fixing my speed sensor problem? Thank you, peter parker

FOUND 95 RELATED QUESTIONS

Vss Wire

1 ANSWER
1 IMAGE

4 Answers

Tiny

mirpat2780

April, 29, 2007 AT 7:37 PM

Tiny

mirpat2780

April, 29, 2007 AT 7:41 PM

I have the same problem on the same make model and year. I have searched for a solution myself or even information on how I could attempt the repair my self with no luck. I could use any info you have on this matter.

Tiny

mtnbirdlady

July, 16, 2007 AT 1:48 AM

I had that problem with my 1999 Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5. I would be driving and would loose the speedometer and odometer for a bit and then they would return. After a year of trying to convince subaru of the problem, they finally replace the speedometer unit. I haven't had any trouble since. I now have 68,000 + on the new speedometer. It failed at 61,020.

Tiny

wrx246

July, 16, 2007 AT 8:28 PM

Hello I could proberly help you both

i've got a copy of the repair manuals i'm presuming these are much the same as the impreza engine wise

i'll look it up for you

thanks carlisa

Please login or register to post a reply.

Read Codes Like a Pro
Code Read Retrieval/Clear Mercedes-Benz C230
How to read codes Chevrolet Blazer
 Step by Step video GMC Yukon XL 2000-2006
Code Read Retrieval/Clear Chevrolet Camaro
Code Read Retrieval/Clear Honda Civic
Code Read Retrieval/Clear Mercedes Benz