ENGINE REPLACEMENT COSTS FOR GT

2004 Subaru Liberty

kirsten33

October, 4, 2010 AT 7:02 PM

2004 Subaru Liberty 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

Hi, we have been quoted $9640 to replace bottom end and repair heads due to main bearing problem. This is the total cost including labour. Does this sound correct as it is a lot of money to be spending on a car that has done less than 100,000 kms. Thanks for your help.

caradiodoc

October, 4, 2010 AT 7:25 PM

Hi kirsten33. Welcome to the forum. Expensive cars are built with expensive parts, ... And engine rebuilds for them can run as high as $4000.00. That's a bunch. Regular cars can have their engines removed, sent to an engine rebuilding specialist, reinstalled, and completed with all the trimmings like new engine mounts, air filter, etc, for $2500.00 to $3000.00. Unless there's something unusual or special about your engine, the price you were quoted should cover rebuilding your entire engine three times.

To put things in perspective, I recently had my students rebuild the V-6 engine for a Grand Caravan I bought with a lower bearing problem. Cost for a reground crankshaft, piston rings, all the gaskets, and all new bearings was less than $300.00 including oil and filter. To totally rebuild the V-8 engine for my 1972 Dodge muscle car cost less than $400.00 for parts. Of course those costs didn't include labor, but you get the idea. You need to get a second estimate for your engine.

Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue 2002-2007
Air Filter Replacement
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Air Filter Replacement Acura TSX
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500