STEERING ON TOO SENSITIVE

2003 Ford Ranger

fcandelaria

August, 8, 2014 AT 5:27 PM

My Ranger's steering is to sensitive. It seems to be like this in all speeds but more so in higher speeds 40~65 mph. It will wonder to one side or the other and is very easy to over-correct. I have gotten use to it over the years, but can be very dangerous if someone else drives it for the first time. It is time to fix the problem. Thanks in advance for your time.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 8, 2014 AT 8:31 PM

When you say it wonders, do you mean there is play in the steering?

fcandelaria

August, 8, 2014 AT 8:59 PM

No more than any other car or truck. It seems to have normal play, but if you take your eyes of the road, for example, you might find that you are veering off your lane. When you correct your steering, you are more likely to over-correct due to the steering being so light and sensitive.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 8, 2014 AT 9:25 PM

I understand what you are saying. The system in your truck doesn't have speed sensitive steering. As a result, you have full assist all the time. It makes it very light to turn. However, the veering off the road has me concerned. Have you checked all steering components?

fcandelaria

August, 9, 2014 AT 5:58 AM

I've just checked obvious components for leakage and damage, but I don't know where to start, and what to check for. Fluids are good and don't leak. I've since replaced tie-rods, ball joints, and bearings, and I had it aligned after installation. When I bought the truck years ago I noticed a new rack and pinion had been replaced on it. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the problem. I don't see any leakage or damage to obvious components.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 9, 2014 AT 7:16 PM

How far can you turn the steering wheel before the vehicle starts to turn?

fcandelaria

August, 16, 2014 AT 11:20 AM

Sorry for the delay in my response. I can say that the play is less than a 1/4 in. Before the truck will turn. I had time to really review how the truck handles, and I will try to be as descriptive as I can to give you a better understanding of the trucks characteristics. I can turn the wheel at 0 20 mph, release the wheel and the truck will stay turning. It will start to return towards the middle on its own but I think this is more the trucks centrifugal force than the steering causing it to return. The truck will, at higher speeds, continue to turn and will not return to the middle on its own. I have to constantly correct it's course.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 16, 2014 AT 5:01 PM

I have to be honest, that either sounds like there is a brake sticking up front, an alignment issue, or the rack and pinion is bad.

fcandelaria

August, 16, 2014 AT 5:34 PM

Jacobandnickolas

August, 16, 2014 AT 5:40 PM

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200