Starts one time a day when cold, code P0340

RANDY KELLEY
  • 1997 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
I replaced alternator and battery engine turns over starts in early morning. Then won’t start again until next morning. Throwing code P0340. Camshaft Position Sensor A circuit bank 1 or single. I have read that this shouldn’t prevent it from running. I was told by shop It needs value cover gaskets, transmission speed sensor and block off plate.
Tuesday, August 6th, 2019 AT 7:17 AM

KASEKENNY1
Hi Randy,

Have they suggested these items to address the no start issue? I am just not sure why any of these would cause a no start so I am just a little confused on that.

As for diagnosing this, you are correct the cam code usually does not cause a no start because all that is required is the crankshaft on most engines. However, on your engine it is not crystal clear that this is the issue. Please refer to the highlighted attachment as it states the cam sensor is used for fuel and ignition timing.

If this is the case, it implies that if there is no signal that it will not fire the plugs or injectors. If this is the case then the engine will not start. Normally it will just crank longer until it uses the crank sensor to determine cam position then it will start.

I would suggest measuring fuel pressure and checking for spark when it is acting up and that will be more definitive. Even if this is not causing your no start condition, they still need to address the code because this system needs to operate to ensure the engine is running efficiently.
+1
Tuesday, August 6th, 2019 AT 5:18 PM