Starting disabled due to theft system.

ANDYSTAFOYA
  • 1991 CADILLAC SEVILLE
I replaced the battery on my cadi because it did not want to start hoping that was the problem. Since I installed the new battery I get an error message on control panel which says ( starting disabled due to theft system) I did exactly as instructed in manual which was to clean key, wait 3 minutes and try and restart, still nothing. I have followed many different suggestions including disconnecting the battery, unlocking both doors then starting, waiting 10 minutes with key in ignition partially turned over, still nothing. I don't have the money to take it to the dealers, if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!
Thursday, April 25th, 2013 AT 11:51 AM

If you have another key try that because the way you tried to reset it isn't correct but the thing is so old I forgot how to do it, this may be the diode type so try another key first. If you go to a place that installs anti theft systems they can probably help you out to get it running again.
+1
Thursday, April 25th, 2013 AT 12:10 PM
ANDYSTAFOYA
I have tried both sets of keys. I don't have the money to take it to a car alarm place. I was out of work for 6 months and am barely working part time now. Why would Cadillac make this such I difficult issue that I have to take it somewhere to fix it? I'm very frustrated. Can you please tell me who can I talk to that would remember how to reset the factory security system so that I can get my car running again?
Thursday, April 25th, 2013 AT 12:22 PM
That is why I said go to a place that installs theft systems just ask them I didn't say to have them diagnose it. If you have a manual It should be in that as well but I kind of figured you didn't
Thursday, April 25th, 2013 AT 12:27 PM
WRENCHTECH
This uses a Passkey security system and the most common failure is the sensor in the ignition switch. There is no reset procedure for this one. You can bypass the sensor if that is the only problem but the rest of the system has to be operational.

That sensor can be bypassed. You would need a digital ohmeter to measure the resistance of the pellet in the key. Now go to Radio Shack and buy a resister of the exact same value as the key pellet. Go to the base of the steering column and locate the two thin white wires that go up to the sensor. Cut the two wires and solder the resister between the two ends coming from the harness. This will permanently bypass the sensor but not the rest of the system.
+1
Thursday, April 25th, 2013 AT 1:11 PM