Sport trac P0320 after 20-30 minutes

TRICE25686
  • 2005 FORD EXPLORER
Just replaced engine in 05 sport trac (4.0 SOHC). Ran great for about 25 minutes then started hesitating and stalling bad then throwing p0320 code finally got to point wouldn't start unless allowed to sit for 20 minutes or so (hood open). Replaced ckp sensor seemed to have fixed it until about an hour of driving later. Doesn't die anymore but wont accelerate in gear below 1500RPM once above that range seems to do fine. Engine revs in neutral just fine but stumbles under a load. Can not duplicate symptoms unless running for 20 plus minutes. Plan on replacing wires from pcm to crank sensor tonight with a new pigtail at the sensor but want to know if anyone experienced this before. (Engine replaced due to timing chain guide failure)
Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 AT 9:43 AM

Here is a tip from our tips page
vehicle may have a dies or no start condition with multiple DTCs. P0320, P0581, P0606, P2105, P2106.

Diagnose engine speed DTCs first. These DTCs will induce TAC DTCs.

Possible source of engine speed DTCs is a crankshaft pulley that is separated. The outer ring comes off and contacts the crank sensor.
Also can be from a two way radio transmitter as well as highleakge form plug wires one other thing is to check for harness damage at back of engine some models have this problem anc check fuelpressure with a gauge autoparts rent it. May be low
Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 AT 9:56 AM
TRICE25686
Fuel pressure steady 49-52psi running. No marks on sensor of any form from surface contact with reluctor wheel. Plugs and wires are brank new and tested for any form of electrical leaking. The engine speed DTC is what I've been attempting to diag. For 2 days without throwing parts at it. Could the coil overheating cause this issue? Or possible wiring getting hot and losing connection?
Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 AT 10:10 AM
I don't think the coil overheating but if it's arcing yes it could /can cause this. There has been some instances of this being set because of salt water intrusion into the crank position sensor. Teh cure for that is to remove connectorand put dielectric grease in it as long as the ckp is good. Then check between ckp sensor harness and ckp sensor if more than 5 ohms check ground on ckp harness which is by pcm and negative battery shold be greater than 10 ohm if all else fails you have to reflash read only programmable memory it has to be something stupid causing this as it takes a while for it to show up. Maybe battery to engine grounds. I have no further suggestions for this.
Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 AT 12:11 PM
TRICE25686
Going to clean all grounds and run ohm tests tonight hopefully findings will show me something useful. If not I'll reflash PCM Saturday. Thanks again for the help, if I come to a conclusion that doesn't require a high powered rifle aimed at ford emblem on front I will be sure to post.
Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 AT 1:19 PM
What I sent is all I could find I know things can be really aggravating sometimes. Try the dielectric grease to maybe that will cure it unless it's a poor connection.
Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 AT 1:21 PM
TRICE25686
Update on sport trac! All of the items above plus, Replaced coil, disconnected all 02s trans output shaft sensor and intermediate shaft sensors both ohm in spec and checked trans harness for any damage. Ckp tests perfect (tested with snap-on verus and Ford IDS), tried all sensors possible. This thing is killing me! Does anyone have any possible idea of where to go from here. Vehicle will only stutter after running 20+ minutes with hood closed and will only do it sitting still with brake depressed while on throttle or accelerating from dead stop until speedometer moves off of 0 mph then runs great.
Thursday, June 5th, 2014 AT 5:46 AM
TRICE25686
Also have replaced computer, and run new wire and pigtail from pcm to ckp.
Thursday, June 5th, 2014 AT 5:48 AM
This may sound stupid as I haven't seen it have you tried cleaning throttle plate on both sides and iac hole with choke cleaner yet? Try that then take a vacuum reading off of intake when doing this.
Thursday, June 5th, 2014 AT 6:03 AM
TRICE25686
Have not tried that yet as of my mind being stuck in "electrical failure" mode I suppose. Will try that this afternoon after work.
Thursday, June 5th, 2014 AT 6:08 AM
TRICE25686
Baffles me because vehicle WILL NOT do it until running for 20+ minutes or longer with hood closed dependant on ambient temp and will not do it unless in gear and from a dead stop or if "power breaking" and only does it until speedo needle moves from zero.
Thursday, June 5th, 2014 AT 6:12 AM
I tmay be idling to low or throttle plate is stickingso if you clean it it normally fixes that.
Thursday, June 5th, 2014 AT 6:30 AM