Speedometer stuck at maxed out position

CLENZER72
  • 1999 FORD ECOSPORT

Started to pull the cluster, anything I should look for the would cause this? Speedometer does not move at all when driving. Did not bother to see if odometer moves. Could it possibly need to be re-clocked to the right spot, or another issue I should look for? Thanks in advance.

Saturday, August 12th, 2017 AT 2:39 PM

You are going about this all wrong. Intermittent voltage spikes can cause a gauge to go too high when the ignition switch is off. These are not the extremely reliable spring-loaded mechanical speedometers we had for almost one hundred years. They use "stepper" motors now that are run by a computer circuit. The motor is pulsed with varying voltages and polarities to place it in the desired position. When a voltage spike makes it go past half way, when the ignition switch is turned on, it simply magnetically looks for the shortest way to "0", and that is clockwise. It gets caught behind the stop peg at "0" or at the highest reading on the scale.

The fix is to just drive the vehicle faster than half of the highest reading. Once the shortest way to the desired reading is counter-clockwise, the pointer will bounce there, then follow the speed back down like normal.

An alternative is to use a scanner in test mode and run the gauges through their paces. The final step is to run all of them back down to "0".

Saturday, August 12th, 2017 AT 7:25 PM