SPARK PLUG TUBE GASKETS

• DoBeDoo
  • 1995 Toyota Corolla

Hi mmprince4000:

I just finished my first valve cover last night and I have a few questions about completion.

1) Lost a nut to the bay/ground (the one next to oil cap). Partially torqued the three to 35. Is this OK or will that warp my cover? When I get the new nut can I just add it or do I have to pull cover and start over?

2) Spark plug tube seals - How do I check if they are installed properly before I power up? If I need to redo these I want to know before I get oil everywhere. Tried replacing one boot and it fit tightly but I don't know if that's conclusive. One of these (#4 in pic) is installed slightly deeper than the others.

3) One of the humps (left) did not seat in the VC but the gasket fit perfectly otherwise. I was hoping torquing would resolve it but I don't know for sure.

Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 AT 7:22 PM

• wrenchtoss

It will leak badly if you don't replace the missing nut.

Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 AT 7:35 PM
  • DoBeDoo

The question is for mmprince. Thanks.

Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 AT 8:05 PM
  • mhpautos

You better respond to the original post, he may not see the new post, just add it to the bottom of the first post.

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 AT 4:20 AM
  • DoBeDoo

OK. Thanks. In the meantime it wouldn't hurt to get your take too.

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 AT 7:56 AM
  • mmprince4000

The nuts are a cap head M6x1.0, you can get at Toyota or a junk yard. I would remove cover, the Felpro Viton gaskets can be reused.

I use a 1/4" ratchet and socket to tighten them, starting in center. Get them "snug". I also put black RTV on the distributor "hump" and the cam "hump.

The tube seals look good in the picture, I use a large socket same size as tube seal to install. Put cover face down (like first pic) on a concrete surface to drive in tube seals.

The bottom of the tube seal is a steel base. When properly installed the seal will face up towards top of cover.

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 AT 8:15 AM
  • DoBeDoo

Do you know the nut thread size so I can get a quick replacement?

If I remove cover can I reinstall gasket mostly dry like the first time since I didn't power up or do I need to cover with RTV second time.

If you compare the humps in the VC you can see there is a gap on the left. Will this be OK when torqued down or will it leak and I need to get a new gasket?

Both of these are good and don't look leak prone?
Seals 1-3: Tube Sits Above Seal
Seal 4: Tube Sits Nearly Flush to Inner Ring

Thanks a lot

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 AT 9:15 AM
  • mmprince4000

Nut size is M6 x 1.0.

Gasket can be re-installed.

Make sure you have gasket installed properly, reverse it to make sure it is on correctly as a test. If it fits hump better when reversed, then install.

Tube seals can also be installed wrong, the bottom that is inside cover should have a metal base.

Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 AT 4:47 AM
  • DoBeDoo

Are you looking at my images before you answer because it doesn't seem so?

Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 AT 11:28 AM
  • mmprince4000

From what I can see the tube seals look good.

Friday, May 24th, 2013 AT 3:07 AM