Slightly overheating

MVALIMONT99
  • 2012 NISSAN FRONTIER
Heater blows cold air. Low on coolant three months ago. Filled it fixed heat issue. Oil change at that time. No coolant in oil. Does not blow white smoke or drip out of exhaust. Low on coolant again at this time, now overheats a little bit but not all the time. No visible leaks. Cooling system was pressure tested last time it was low by dealership. No pressure leak. Another Nissan mechanic said it has open system and is normal.
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 4:48 AM

SATURNTECH9
Was the radiator cap ever tested? That is the most over looked source of a coolant leak. Also, has it been checked for a blown head gasket?
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 8:00 AM
MVALIMONT99
I did the block test this morning with the blue fluid. All good there. Changed reservoir and radiator cap straight from dealership.
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 8:27 AM
SATURNTECH9
With the radiator cap change it is still going low on coolant?
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 8:30 AM
SATURNTECH9
Also, you said it was pressure tested last time it was low on coolant? Or Was that three months ago or this most recent time this time?
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 8:33 AM
MVALIMONT99
Yes, still running low after cap changes. I changed them three months ago when coolant was low first time. Cooling system was press tested three months ago after it went low the first time. I did block test this morning and liquid stayed blue after pumping for ten straight minutes.
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 9:11 AM
SATURNTECH9
I would pressure test it again that is what I would do. If no leaks found I would add coolant leak dye.
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 9:15 AM
MVALIMONT99
Its still under warrant. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. If they do not do dye I will. I do not think it is a head gasket or intake gasket being it has not misfired and it runs smooth other than the recent overheating.
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 9:19 AM
SATURNTECH9
A slow head gasket leak it effect the way it runs at all. You must have a extended warranty. Let me know what they say. Extended warranty does not cover everything.
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 9:26 AM
MVALIMONT99
Yeah, gasket are not covered on my warranty, lol. Head job pocket change anyway! Sense the sarcasm?
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 9:40 AM
KEN
Yep, it happens, sorry let us know how it goes, this is a common problem as cars get cheaper so do their castings.

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Wednesday, September 14th, 2016 AT 8:08 PM