2002 SATURN SL2 IGNITION LOCKING CYLINDER

• rgcolwell
  • 2002 Saturn SL2

2002 Saturn SL2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have replaced the ignition locking cylinder and it's housing. Now the key works as it should in all positions. The car now turns and starts normal but immediately shuts off. It does not seem to be the battery or the ignition itself.

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 3:33 PM

• bluelightnin6

Does vehicle have anti theft system? If so is the anti theft light blinking or remaining solid?

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 3:39 PM
  • rgcolwell

Not sure if there is an active "anti-theft" system. It has the factory keyless-entry/security system. The word "security" blinks when the key is turned on. The battery was disconnected while the new ignition lock cylinder was being installed. Does something need to be reset?

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 4:11 PM
  • bluelightnin6

You will need to have your key reprogrammed by local Saturn dealer. Your key is not matching up with the new switch assembly and is causing the theft deterrent (PASSLOCK) system to cut out the fuel injectors because the computer (PCM) believes someone is trying to steal the vehicle.

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 4:14 PM
  • rgcolwell

The key itself is not programmable as far as far as I know. There's not a chip or anything in it. I bought the assembly at the dealership. They charged $50 to have the ignition lock cylinder coded to match the existing key. Did something get missed?

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 4:23 PM
  • bluelightnin6

Something is not correct or the hall effect sensor of the PASSLOCK system has been triggered.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_2886.jpg

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 4:28 PM
  • rgcolwell

All is good now. I had to reset the Passlock system. Thanks for your help!

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 5:38 PM