COOLANT LIGHT AND LOW LEVEL COOLANT LIGHT F

1996 Saturn SL1

leesee23

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 114000 miles

I have a 96 saturn single cam. Last month the low coolant light and low coolant level light came on at the same time for a min and then shut off, the coolant was a little low. It happened again this month and the coolant wasn't low. Also the car is not overheating. Could it be a sensor or something more serious?

saturntech9

January, 20, 2010 AT 11:32 AM

Are u sure it's not just low enough to just turn the light on it doesn't take much to turn that light on. Try filling to the seam of the bottle not the fill line that's the best place to fill it too. Then take it for a drive if the light comes back on and it's still to the seam then I'll give u the next step so we can see if it's sensor or a wire issue I just want to make sure u just don't have a leak that's the most common reason for the light to come on. Let me know what u find.

leesee23

Will it hurt the car by filling the coolant to the seam of the bottle? Thank you.

saturntech9

No it wont hurt the car at all iam a factory trained saturn tech thats where I always fill them when topping the coolant. Let me know what u find out.

leesee23

I didn't fill it up to the rim. However I checked it today and the level is still at the full line. What else can it be?

saturntech9

I asked u to fill the bottle to the seam and then drive it and let me know if the light came back on and if the level was still at the seam. Help me out here so I can help u out please do what I asked so we can determine if we have a sensor/wire problem or just a leak in the cooling system.I dont want u to be checking the sensor/wire issue if we have a leak in the coolant system. Please let me know what u find.

Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser