Code P0741 03 Saturn Vue

CARPROTRAINEE
  • SATURN
I have an 03 Saturn Vue AWD, 4 cyl. With about 50,000 miles that runs great but the check engine light came on. We had been in sitting in traffic for a good amount of time then got to highway. After speeding up RPM's went nuts. Got it home & oil level was low. Put in oil, now runs great - like nothing wrong - other than the engine light is on. We hooked to scanner and got the code P0741. I have done some research on web and have found a variety of info ranging from having the trans fluid changed to replacing the torque converter to transmission is shot. How serious (& expensive) can this code be? Any advice/information would be helpful. ?
Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 1:14 PM

SERVICE WRITER
If you haven't changed the transmission filter yet, I would start there based on what you found-I didn't look the code up. I wouldn't expect a transmission to go bad at 50,000. I was thinking you meant engine oil was low. You may have damaged the clutches in the tranny.
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 1:26 PM
CHEVYII
P0741 is the torque converter clutch stuck off, this will cause what service writer said, it is either a solenoid failure causing non lock up or an internal converter failure
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 6:00 PM
CARPROTRAINEE
How expensive (about) are either of these to replace/fix?
Tuesday, February 27th, 2007 AT 2:35 PM
CHEVYII
WELL IM SORRY TO SAY THAT IS AN INDICATION OF AN INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM, I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TAKE IT TO A SHOP JUST TO GET AN ESTIMATE MY GUESS IT WILL BE AN OVERHAUL

JIM
Tuesday, February 27th, 2007 AT 2:43 PM
CARPROTRAINEE
In my internet search, I am finding a nightmare of problems with Vue transmissions for years 02-04. My Vue is not under any warranty. However, I keep reading about GM extending a warranty on 02-04 Vue transmissions only, because of the problems, to 5yrs old/75,000 miles. Does this apply to anyone (like me) or does it have to currently be under a warranty to get the extension? Would repair or overhaul from due to the Torque Converter qualify under that?Does anyone know or know where I can check?
Wednesday, February 28th, 2007 AT 7:17 AM
CHEVYII
Casll your dealer and give them the vin#over th ephone, they will help you out

thanks, jim

oh and if you are happy with the info please leave some feedback we all donate out time here helping people for free
Wednesday, February 28th, 2007 AT 8:11 AM
CARPROTRAINEE
I have read that you can unhook the torque converter rather than replacing it with loss of some gas mileage. This would be less expensive than replacing the torque converter. Does anyone know if this is true?
Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 AT 8:26 AM