Automatic transmission shifting

EMG1983
  • SATURN
I have a 97 sl2 and had a transmission issue since I bought it. When it shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th, it feels like it kind of "struggles" to get to its gears. It primarily happens after I start it and dont let it warm up first. After I drive it for a while and the engine is at warm temperature, the transition from 2nd to 3rd smooths out, but once it gets to 2nd, the engine RPMs will drop for a split second (by 200 to 300 RPM) and then increase, and THEN go into 3rd. Do you have any clue of what that could be?
Saturday, April 21st, 2007 AT 7:50 PM

PEPPERMRJ
An often neglected maintence procedure is regular transmission fluid changes. On the S series they should be about every 30,000 miles. Use mobile 1 synthetic tranny fluid for best results.

Is the ses light on? Retrieve any stored codes first.

These trannies are computer controlled. You might try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. The computer will then need several drive cycles to learn peak performance criteria.

Good luck and let us know. :)
peppermrj
Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 7:03 PM
EMG1983
Well, the check engine light hasnt come on yet (thank God) but the last time I had the fluid changed was when I had the 02 tranny put in (oct. 06) im gonna get the fluid changed 2morrow. I just noticed a slow leak coming from the outside filter also. I am REALLY tryin not to hate this car, but its just the small problems that are killin me.
Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 10:16 PM