98 SC1 RADIATOR LEAK!

1998 Saturn

k2laser

March, 8, 2006 AT 11:00 PM

My car started leaking antifreeze fluid causing the warning light to flash on my dash and I wanted to know if I can use a leak repair liquid until I have it repaired. I really cannot see the radiator on this Saturn, but the resevoir does not hold the antifreeze for long and the bottom of the car is wet. I appreciate a response asap. Thank you very much guys!

peppermrj

March, 9, 2006 AT 12:34 AM

Some things to consider before you add that stop leak product. Stop leak can be effective on the aluminum (center rows) portion of the rad. It will not be effective on the plastic side tanks which is where most cracks occur.

Depending on the mileage the leak could also be elswhere. My waterpump went @ about 115,000 miles. Stop leak won't be effective.

There is a down side to stop leak products also. In some instances they have been thought to clog heater cores.

If you can determine that the leak is from the center of the rad in the aluminum rows go for it. Follow the product instructions and turn the heater off maybe even to AC and cold temperature setting.

Good luck and let us know. : )

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet