97 SL2 RUNS HOT! PLEASE HELP!

1997 Saturn

mmhoss13

April, 24, 2007 AT 11:41 AM

Have a 97 saturn sl2, about 96k on it. Not sure of the engine size off hand. I had the catalytic converter replaced last fall after it broke, had the transmission flushed, thermostat replaced (along with some coil inside of there that cost a bundle), and had the oxygen sensor replaced a few months ago. That should have been done when the catalytic converter was done, but I wasn't told this. Well since I had the thermostat and coil replaced, my car runs hotter than it used to. It used to run about 1/4 of the temp gauge and now it runs at halfway almost instantly. If I get stuck in traffic or in a drive-thru, it starts getting hot and moving up toward the 3/4 mark. The fan will kick on but it worries me since my last car had a a problem and overheated, which resulted in HUGE problems that would have cost a bundle to fix (more than the car was worth). What else would cause a car to run this hot? Please help.

Running Hot

Service Writer

April, 24, 2007 AT 9:09 PM

Several possiblilites. These are real common for a coolant temperature sender problem. But generally cause an idle problem.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_cts_saturn_2.jpg

The t-stat may have gone south. (Seems like a more common part that tends to go bad in general.)

Are you losing any coolant?

peppermrj

April, 25, 2007 AT 5:40 PM

Hey Mmhoss,

My 96 SC2 will show about 3/4s on the gauge before the fan kicks on. It will run untill the gauge gets down to around 5/8ths to 1/2. It is normal on my satty.

If you are not overheating or loosing coolant I would say all is well. You can take it to a shop and have the temp read with one of those no touch lazar guns to be sure.

Good luck and let us know. : )
peppermrj

mmhoss13

April, 25, 2007 AT 5:48 PM

Not losing any coolant that i've seen. The other day when the fan kicked on (after getting to about 3/4), I could smell coolant which is what made me nervous enough to look into it more. With summer coming up I know it will heat up that much faster which might lead to big problems.

peppermrj

April, 25, 2007 AT 6:05 PM

Sometimes a small leak can be hard to find. Keep a close eye on the coolant level. There is a level switch in the coolant tank that willl show up as the battery light blinking if I remeber correctly. Check the owners manual to be sure.

Be sure the cap on the coolant tank is tight also. It is a pressure cap and needs to be sealed tightly. It can also fail but that is uncommon.

Good luck and let us know. : )
peppermrj

mmhoss13

April, 26, 2007 AT 10:04 AM

Funny you mention that blinking light. Once in a while when it was cold out, my coolant light would blink until the car heated up. It's hard to see the fill line so I had the coolant level checked (to make sure I wasnt issing something) and it wasn't low, that's when the whole thing came up about the thermostat not working. Had it replaced and still had that blink a couple times. Dont want to add coolant so that it overflows when it heats up.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser