2000 Other Saturn Models engine pinging

• 1 POST
  • 2000 SATURN

2000 Other Saturn Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 144000 miles

Hi guys, my saturn sl2 has a serious engine pinging problem especially when under load, such as going 70 mph and then climbing hills on the freeway. To keep the engine from rattling apart I have to slow down, turn off the radio and listen to the engine to make sure the pinging is kept to a minimum. Then at the top of the hill I'm going 55 mph! I know it has a knock sensor, but how can I tell if it's working. I have an Innova code scannerand so far no codes except for the constant PO442 code: small leak in the EVAP system. (I've replaced the gas cap 4 times) I haven't replaced the fuel filter, have newer plugs, use a K&N air filter and run 87 octane fuel. Can't afford extra cost of running 89 or 91. The wires have less than 12000 ohms. Not enough spark voltage? Bad plugs? Need hotter plugs, colder plugs, bad knock sensor? Any help much appreciated!

Friday, June 20th, 2008 AT 3:23 PM

Check the knock sensor and the EGR valve-

Friday, June 20th, 2008 AT 3:26 PM