BAD IDLING

2000 Saturn

nrvannot

September, 20, 2010 AT 12:09 PM

2000 Other Saturn Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 93,000 miles

i drive a 2000 saturn ls. The other day I started my car and the engine started revving and the rpm gauge shot up to 3 instantly. I put it in reverse and it stopped. But when I put it in drive the car idles really fast. It gets up to 35 mph without putting my foot on the gas. I went to autozone and they told me it was the idle air control valve. I have to hold the brakes down fairly tight to get it to stop. I just don't know how reliable autozone is.
also, I believe my water pump is broke because my car overheats a lot and I have to drive with water jugs. Could this have anything to do with it?

saturntech9

September, 20, 2010 AT 12:43 PM

Did you have auto zone read the code's in your computer if so what were the code number's they got?Is it overheating because of the coolant leak?Where is the coolant leaking from you said you thought your water pump is that were your seeing it come from?

nrvannot

September, 20, 2010 AT 1:36 PM

That radiator cracked about a year ago. I replaced it and it worked fine for like a week or so. And ever since i've always had to refill the radiator about every 35 miles just like when the radiator had cracked, but less often. Someone told me they had the same problem and they replaced the water pump. Its hard to tell where the leak is coming from. It doesn't leak at first but when I drive for awhile I can see a trail of liquid behind my parked car.

saturntech9

September, 20, 2010 AT 2:01 PM

The best way to find the leak would be to get a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system then look and see where the leak is. If you check the auto part's store's maybe you could rent one if not you could buy one. Let me know what you found.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars