TIMING BELT/CHAIN

2005 Saturn Ion

superbuyr1

2005 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

I've looked through my handbook on my Saturn, and have found no information on when to change the timing belt/chain. Can you help?

saturntech9

Theres not maintance for that u have a chain and u only have to service it when there's a problem with it. So keep ur oil changed regulary and it will last a long time.

superbuyr1

Thanks for your response about my Saturn -- so far it's been an awesome little car. The car just turned 100,000 miles, and other than 2 tires and oil changes, we've not had to do any work on it.

By " having trouble with the timing chain" do you mean it can break, or what? We had a car several years ago where it broke and did a bunch of major engine damage, and I really don't want that to happen again if I can prevent it. Do timing chains have an average life span, or do they sometimes just break or not?

Thanks!

saturntech9

I mean if the chain were to break then u would have to adress the problem. But for ur yr there are no problems that I know the chain letting loose. What I was talking about was if the chain starting making noise then u would want to change it. As far as a life span for chain couldnt really put one on it. But I have seen them go over 200,000 miles in customers cars that have come in. Hope this helps put u more at ease about ur chain.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500