1997 SAAB 900 follow-up to reply to my question

• 1997 SAAB 900

Steering problem
1997 Saab 900 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

Thanks to mnthny4 for the answer to my question. I have a reply to your answer:

The steering was tight was I saw the new mechanic on Monday. Five days later on Saturday, I took the car out and the steering was loose, very loose. There's also some noise now if I turn the steering wheel to the far right (maybe far left too, not sure right now).

I appreciate your expertise in stating that Saab inner tie rod bushings will not come apart even when bad, but does this also mean that they will not become loose?

When the new mechanic told me the car was dangerous to drive, because the inner tie rod bushings were loose, I was doubtful because the steering was tight. Now I am afraid to drive the car. I plan on taking it back to the mechanic in three days instead of three weeks. (Rent will have to be late this month.)

A neighbor suggested I take it to a Brakemasters, but I'm inclined to take my car to a Saab specialist and my new mechanic is the only Saab specialist in town. Is this the type of problem that can be addressed by a non-Saab mechanic?

Below was my original post:

Steering problem

I went to a new mechanic and he said the inner tie rod bushings were loose. I need to replace them and do an alignment.

I said I could afford to do this repair in three weeks. Then he said that I should not drive the car until I get this fixed. He said driving the car would be dangerous. He would not take the time to explain why. However, he did say that if I tried to negotiate a turn at 100 miles an hour, I may flip the car.

I'm baffled. Am I all right as long as I don't try to turn at 100 miles an hour? Or will the car fall apart while I'm driving it because the inner tie rod bushings are loose?

Let me state that I bought the car used and it does need an alignment. It pulls to the right.

I called my old mechanic (I recently moved to a new town) and he told me to turn the engine on and try turning the steering wheel back and forth. He asked if there was any noise. There wasn't.

Can anyone give advice on this? I really need to drive my car and cannot pay to replace the inner tie rod bushings for three weeks. I can, however, drive very carefully for the next three weeks

Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 1:03 AM

Repairs for this is quit simple to do, no need to take to saab specialist even u if u r mechanicaliy incline can replace parts, u will need to order bushing kit for this inner section of rod, if u start hearing noise & steering feels loose then its best now to repair before your tires start to tear apart due to alignment issues caused by this. Good luck.

Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 AT 1:50 PM