Resetting TCM

LINCOLNZEPHYR
  • 2006 LINCOLN ZEPHYR
How do you manually reset a TCM?
Thursday, March 14th, 2019 AT 12:23 PM

Are you referring to the Transmission Control Module? What is the symptom or what are you trying to reset?
Thursday, March 14th, 2019 AT 3:39 PM
LINCOLNZEPHYR
I'm trying to reset the "Transmission Adaptive Shifting".
Friday, March 15th, 2019 AT 9:57 AM
There is nothing to reset. The computer selects different modes, based mostly on transmission temperature and an attempt to get it warmed up faster, and it switches between those modes automatically. The only thing you might notice is slightly higher or lower shift points, and at what road speed the torque converter's lock-up clutch engages. That is used to increase fuel mileage. When it engages, typically starting around 30 - 40 mph, engine speed will drop about 200 rpm.

If you're observing some other problem related to shifting, start by having the diagnostic fault codes read in the Transmission Computer. You might be able to have that done at an auto parts store. The people there will read fault codes for you for free, but usually they can only read codes in the Engine Computer. If they can't read codes in the Transmission Computer, you'll need to find a mechanic with a scanner that can access that computer. Most independent repair shops can do that for you.

If there are "P" codes shown, you can go here:

https://www.2carpros.com/trouble_codes/obd2/p0400

to see the definitions, or I can interpret them for you.
Friday, March 15th, 2019 AT 7:12 PM