CAM BELT AND CRANKSHAFT TIMING MARKS

2002 Renault Megane

Doug627586

November, 16, 2009 AT 3:25 PM

2002 Renault Megane 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 89000 miles

I have a 1998cc 16valve Renault Megane Convertible Privilidge+ which recently had a cam belt idler collapse, resulting in the usual valve damage after the belt slipped a tooth or 2.
I have had the head reconditioned with new valves, guides, and followers, but before I reassemble the whole thing, I need to be sure where my timing marks on the crankshaft, and the camshafts are. Is there any possibility of a photo of what I should be looking for, and also what positions the respective shafts need to be in before reassembly. If a photo isn't possible, as accurate a description as possible would be appreciated.

Dave H

November, 20, 2009 AT 5:26 AM

The timing position marks on this vehicle are pretty easy to spot ..you need to have these set exactly right to avoid further damage to the valves .. this vehicle was not released in the USA .. so I do not have any diagrams i'm afraid ..I would advise checking your local library or autoparts store for a repair manual which includes step by step instructions and diagrams for this repair, this would be a lot simpler and safer than a long winded explanation from me ... LOL .. there is also a special tool you can buy/rent .. which locks up the cam and crankshafts in the correct position while completing the repair, I highly recommend you use this tool !!

hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_218.png

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue