2003 Renault Clio Strange electrical problems

HOTSHOT1811
  • 2003 RENAULT CLIO

2003 Renault Clio

Hi,
i have been having some strange problems with my renault clio regarding the electrics.
It is an intermittent fault where the headlights go out and the indicators, windscreen wipers and the electric windows dont work.
It normally happens within a few minutes of driving off and to fix it I have to pull over and turn the engine off and on again. Sometimes I have to repeat this 3-4 times before it works properly. Occasionally I carry on driving and the lights come back on again but this doesnt happen very often.
Other times I can get in the car and everything works fine 1st time.
Can you suggest anything to help?

Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 AT 9:08 AM

DAVE H

First have the alternator checked for correct chargeing operation. The renault range has been known for it's electrical wiring faults and you may need an auto electrician to locate this fault ! Seems like the fault may be located around the ignition switch area !

-1
Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 AT 8:25 PM
HOTSHOT1811

Ive taken it to two garages to be looked at, the first said he couldnt locate the fault as it was an intermittent problem. He suggested it might be the wiring in the engine and the second said it may be a problem with the BIC unit but again couldnt be certain because he needed to see the car whilst the fault was there. This is near impossible as I can never tell when its going to happen!
He said if it was the BIC unit then it wuld have to go to renault to be fixed!
I hope its not the wiring unit as I had to have that replaced when the car was 18 months old and it was very expensive!

Friday, April 3rd, 2009 AT 4:53 AM
DAVE H

Ufortunately .. the Renault range hase been plagued with electrical faults .. mainly wiring connectors or wires rubbing and stripping insulation .. to try and rectify these faults Renault changed some BCM's (body control modules) this did not work and wiring had to be repaired ... my guess is renault have come across these fault's before and may be your quickest solution to this .. albeit the most expensive .. you could get them to diagnose where the fault lies for you and have it repaired elsewhere !!

hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_428.png

+1
Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 6:27 AM
HOTSHOT1811

It looks like reanult are going to be my last hope then! Tbh, since I have had it back from the garage it hasnt been anywhere near as bad, I have no idea what they fiddled with but it seems to have worked for now!
I think I will still take it to my local renault dealer just to be safe, thanks for the advice!

Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 2:34 PM
DAVE H

It definately sounds like you have something loose somewhere .. let renault diagnose the fault and have it repaired elsewhere .. please let us know your results !

thanks

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_439.png

+1
Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 5:53 PM
HOTSHOT1811

Will do! Will have to wait a few weeks until I get paid, fingers crossed it all stays fine until then

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 5:13 PM
MEL PETTIPHER

Please help I have exactly the same problem?

+1
Thursday, June 8th, 2017 AT 12:01 AM

You need to start a new question specific to your car and problem, and please be sure to list the engine size, transmission type, and mileage. This conversation is eight years old and shows up on our list as already having received a reply. The other experts won't see your addition or have a chance to reply. That won't get you the help you need.

I can add two comments to the previous conversation. The first is if the head lights are involved with this problem, and they turn off when the ignition switch is turned off, that switch is by far the best suspect. The connector also needs to be inspected for signs of two blackened terminals and / or part of the connector body is melted. If that is found, the switch must be replaced, then the overheated terminals must be cut out of the connector. Those wires will also be hardened from being hot and solder won't adhere to it. About 4" of those wires must be cut off, then new pieces spliced on, then two new crimp-type terminals can be added, but they should be soldered too, then they can be plugged in individually.

As for the dealer being the most expensive place to have this repaired, that is not correct. This will be a new problem seen at most independent repair shops. With no experience, they will have to search for the problem when they can get it to act up, and they will need to consult a wiring diagram. All of that translates into increased time and increased cost. If this really is a common problem, the mechanics at the dealership will be familiar with the car, know exactly where to start looking, and will likely have most of the common solutions memorized. For this type of problem, the dealer is usually the least expensive and most effective at solving it.

Thursday, June 8th, 2017 AT 3:41 PM