Brake booster replacement instructions please?

WEISER HANNAH
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS
I hear a hissing noise from under the dash can you help me change the booster out?
Sunday, March 11th, 2018 AT 8:56 AM

Hi,

Replacing the booster isn't too hard. You will have to remove the brake master cylinder to access it. The worst part of the job is unbolting it from the firewall, It is one from the inside of the vehicle up under the dash.

If you look at the attachments below, I included the directions and the pics specific to your vehicle for replacement.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care,

See pics below
Tuesday, March 30th, 2021 AT 6:37 PM
DEARHILDIE
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
I have a 2004 Ford Taurus. The brakes sometimes don't work when I first start the car. It's an awful feeling to be pressing the brake with my foot as hard as I can and the car still rolls when I put it in gear. I first took the car to a Sears repair shop. They couldn't find a problem with the brakes and the issue didn't show itself when they first started the car up, which is when the problem occurs for me. It's now at a Ford dealership. It's been there for over a week. Each time we've let the car sit a little longer. Each time the technician doesn't
experience the problem so he can find it. They're frustrated with me because they want me to pay the diagnostic fee and get the car out of their lot. I'm frustrated because this is the car my 18 year old son drives. What if the brakes give out while he's, say, on the expressway and needs to make a quick stop? Everyone in this family has experienced this issue. Have you ever heard of this happening before?
Monday, April 5th, 2021 AT 12:06 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
Vacuum may be leaking out of the booster from the check valve. This is right where the vac hosr attaches to the booster.
+1
ADRIENNE88BROWN
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
I am trying to put the new brake booster in and my husband who gets extremely frustrated with repairs has broken something. Help identify this part and any help getting the booster back in? As I have read the forums but seems to be getting hung up on everything. Mass airflow is DC. Lines to master cylinder are DC. Master cylinder is DC. Coolant hoses DC because they were too much to work around. Tons of things out of the way and still cannot get this past the transmission mount. Ugh!
Monday, April 5th, 2021 AT 12:07 PM (Merged)
Hi and thanks for using 2CarPros. Com.

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle for replacement of the booster. The attached pictures correlate with the directions. Note: The one picture shows a parts break down, so hopefully you can identify which part is broken. If you upload a pic for me, I will do my best to identify it.

Removal
Disconnect battery ground cable.
Disconnect manifold vacuum hose from power brake booster check valve.
Unclip air cleaner cover and position air cleaner cover assembly out of the way.
Disconnect speed control actuator retaining nuts, and position speed control actuator cable out of way.
Disconnect brake fluid level sensor connector from brake master cylinder reservoir.
Remove nut retaining cowl top inner panel tube to master cylinder mounting stud and remove cowl top inner panel tube.
Remove the brake tubes from the primary and secondary outlet port of brake master cylinder.
Remove two nuts retaining brake master cylinder to power brake booster assembly and remove brake master cylinder.
Working inside vehicle below dash panel, disconnect wiring connector from stoplight switch. Remove push rod retainer and brake master cylinder push rod spacer from pedal pin. Slide stoplight switch along brake pedal pin just far enough for outer hole to clear pin. Remove stoplight switch by sliding it upward. Be careful not to damage stoplight switch during removal.
Remove booster-to-dash panel retaining nuts. Slide booster push rod and brake master cylinder push rod bushing off brake pedal pin.
Move power brake booster forward until booster studs clear dash panel and remove power brake booster.

Installation
Align pedal support bracket inside vehicle and place power brake booster in position on dash panel. Hand-start retaining nuts.
Working inside vehicle, install brake master cylinder push rod spacer, push rod and brake master cylinder push rod bushing onto the pedal pin and into push rod. The head of the bushing should be on the side of the push rod away from the pedal arm. Tighten booster-to-dash panel retaining nuts to 21 - 29 Nm (16 - 21 ft. Lbs.).
Position stoplight switch so that it straddles booster push rod with stoplamp switch slot toward pedal blade and hole just clearing pin. Slide stoplight switch down onto pin. Slide assembly toward pedal arm, being careful not to bend or deform stoplight switch. Install brake master cylinder push rod spacer on pin and secure all parts to pin with hairpin retainer. Make sure retainer is fully installed and locked over pedal pin. Connect stoplight switch connector on stoplight switch.
Connect manifold vacuum hose to power brake booster check valve.
Position brake master cylinder assembly on booster assembly studs.
Install brake tube fittings into brake master cylinder ports. Tighten to 14 - 24 Nm (11 - 17 ft. Lbs.). Tighten master cylinder nuts to 26 - 39 Nm (20 - 28 ft. Lbs.).
Connect brake fluid level sensor connector to brake master cylinder reservoir.
Bleed brake system.
Position speed control actuator cable over studs on shock tower and install three retaining nuts.
Position cowl top inner panel tube on brake master cylinder mounting stud and install retaining nut.
Install air cleaner cover assembly.
Connect battery ground cable. Check power brake function.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
MUTLEY22
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
How do you replace brake booster on my car? It looks like it would take a week and a day to get it out! Thanks for any help.
BMRFIXIT
This is step by step according to my book
let me know if you need more information.
Good luck!

Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove air cleaner (if necessary).
Disconnect manifold vacuum hose from booster check valve.
Depress brake pedal several times to release vacuum in system (if ABS equipped).
Disconnect brake lines from master cylinder.
Remove master cylinder-to-brake booster nuts. Remove master cylinder.
From under dash, remove brakelight switch wiring connector.
Remove brake light retaining pin. Slide brake light switch off brake pedal pin just enough for outer plate of brake light switch to clear pin. Remove brake light switch from pin. Do not damage switch during removal.
Remove booster-to-dash panel retaining nuts. Slide booster push rod, bushing and inner nylon washer off brake pedal pin. From under hood, move booster forward until booster studs clear firewall.
Rotate front of booster inward (toward engine), and remove booster by raising until clear.
Installation:
To install, reverse removal procedure.
+6
EMMALINE
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
My brakes are hard I will not come to a complete stop without pressing down hard on the brakes. They dont go to the floor however it seems like there is pressure in the brakes pushing keeping them from going to the floor.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Sounds like a bad brake booster. If you are getting an extended braking distance, you may also want to check for a rear wheel cylinder leak. You also might want to check to see if the engine vacuum is low. Your vehicle should have a sensor that determines if the rear wheels are braking. If hydraulic pressure is uneven between front and rear you will usually see a brake indicator light come on. Also make certain that you are getting enough vacuum to the brakes. Low vacuum can be caused by a number of problems. I recommend using a vacuum gauge for this diagnosis.
GOOGOODOLL
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
When removing the brake booster, do you have to bleed the brakes first?
Remove the master cylender from the booster (2 bolts) then remove the booster. There should be no need to bleed the brakes if the only thing being replaced is the booster. The only time you need to bleed the brakes is when hydraulic system has been opened.

Let me know if you have other questions.
+1
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
How to install a brake booster
Removal

1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Disconnect manifold vacuum hose from booster check valve. Disconnect low fluid warning switch connector from brake fluid reservoir. Disconnect brakelines from master
cylinder. Remove master cylinder to brake booster nuts. Remove master cylinder.
2. From under dash, remove brakelight switch wiring connector. Remove brakelight switch retaining pin. Slide brakelight switch off brake pedal pin just enough for outer plate of brakelight switch to clear pin.
Remove brakelight switch from pin. DO NOT damage switch during removal.
3. Remove booster to dash panel nuts. Slide booster push rod, bushing and inner nylon washer off brake pedal pin. From under hood, remove manifold vacuum fitting from firewall and position out of way.
4. Remove center console. Pull back carpeting. Remove cable bracket to dash panel screw. Disconnect shift cable from transaxle lever. Remove transaxle shift cable and bracket. Move booster forward until
booster studs clear firewall. Rotate front of booster inward (toward engine), and remove booster by raising until clear.
+1

Sponsored links