CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2004 Proton Gen-2

chantelle1

July, 13, 2010 AT 10:55 PM

2004 Proton Gen-2 4 cyl

Hi
I was wondering what would cause my check engine light to come on, I have checked all the fuses, there is no oil on the outside of the motor, no tubes have come off, there is no water in the oil, the oil is full, the water is full (has coolant in it) I cant remove the leads to see if they are OK. So I cant check the plugs. I was driving the car the day before something felt off but couldn't work out what it was, I thought that because I hadn't driven the car in a week it was just a settling thing. The next day I was driving up the mountain again the light came on the car started shuddering and there was no power when I put my foot on the gas. The nearest dealership is an hour away and I don't want to try to drive that far in case I make it worse. Can you please give me an idea what it could be.
Chantelle

August, 2, 2010 AT 2:10 AM

Hi chantelle1,

When the CEL indicates, an error has been detected by the engine management system and it can be anything from a loose sensor/gas cap to a bad computer. You need a scan to retrieve the trouble code to understand what is wrong.