96 CYL. 3 MISFIRE 2.2L PLEASE HELP

1996 Pontiac Sunfire

ls1FD

September, 17, 2006 AT 5:09 PM

Hello. Im working on my gf car and replaced some parts but its still misfiring Cyl. 3 here what I know and repaired so far.
96 Pontiac Sunfire SE
2.2L 8 valve 4 cyl
140k miles

The car pulled a p0303 Cyl 3 misfire, I checked the wires and they are still good, I metered the coil packs and they tested good, I had the ignition control module tested and it was BAD, replaced with junkyard part with 104k miles on it, and the car is still misfiring, #3 cyl. There is no spark from the wire, now im in a jam I cant imagine the chances of getting a ICM from the junkyard with the same exact cyl misfire, I do how ever have one more ICM but wasnt sure if I wanted to install it incase there is something that is causing the ICM to go bad, So I dont know what could be the problem, computer, crank and cam sensor, I dont have access to a tech 2, but have a code reader, But if one of these other items were bad wouldnt that pull a code. If you have any tips or advice for me it would be greatly appreiciated, Thank you for your time, and keep up the good work, your site has helped me in the past with other car troubles. Tony

Engine Miss

donjuan0084

October, 5, 2006 AT 9:13 AM

IM WORKING ON A 2001 ECLIPSE THAT IS DOING THE SAME THING BUT I GET THE CODE THAT #4 IS MISFIRING, I REPLACED THE PLUGS AND WIRES BUT THE MECHANIC SAID THAT SOMETHING IS MAKING THE SPARK PLUGS CRACK ON THE SIDE AND FIRE OUT OF THE SIDE INSTEAD OF IN THE MIDDLE.I AM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE DEAL ON THIS. IM GONNA WORK ON IT THIS WEEKEND SO IF I KNOW SOMETHING I'LL LET U KNOW. IF NOT WELL I'D APPRECIATE IF U COULD HELP ME OUT.