2000 PONTIAC MONTANA CODE P0742

• Carrie6969
  • 2000 Pontiac Montana

2000 Pontiac Montana 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 108 300 miles

I have a 2000 pontiac montana. Recently the engine light came on and I retrieved the code P0742 Torque converter circuit stuck on.

Do you have any idea this might cost to fix and is it a major repair? Could it also result in a rebuild? Also will it damage the transmission further if I keep driving it the way it is?

Thanks,

Carrie

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 3:25 PM

• Jack42

I would call around for exact prices, but it should only be a few hundred dollars.I know that is alot, but a trans will be a few thousand. Sounds like all it may need is the torque converter clutch solenoid.I wouldnt drive it, this may cause damage to the converter, which if it fails internally can scatter debris throughout the entire trans, then you will need a rebuild.

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 10:36 PM
  • Carrie6969

Thank you so much for your reply.

Would you think that I would be better off to get the whole torque converter replaced in case it's not just the solenoid that is the problem?

I was quoted like two hundred more to replace the torque converter above the price of replacing the solenoid. They expressed to me that if it turned out to not be the solenoid as the only problem I would have to pay for the job to be done again(taking the tranny apart)

Thank you :)

Sincerely,

Carrie

Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 10:04 AM
  • Jack42

For 200 extra, it may be worth it, especially to keep the warranty on the repair

Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 10:28 AM